At 07:15 PM, 04 Nos. of workers were engaged in shifting of pulley for belt pulley replacement work. Fitter fixed a wire rope sling of 12.7 mm diameter and 1.5 Mtr. length around hydraulic cylinder at mid length to shift it using crane of 20 ton. Hydraulic cylinder was of 0.8 to 0.85 ton. To place cylinder at defined location one person was guiding it by holding the cylinder with both of his hands. When cylinder was at height of approx. one foot from ground level, to position it, he kept cylinder between his legs. Cylinder slightly got swayed and his right legs ankle got trapped between the cylinder and rail kept on ground resulting into fracture near right leg ankle.
1. Single wire rope sling used for lifting and was not properly positioned.
2. Guiding of load was done by hand not by Tag Line.
3. Non-availability of expert riggers to carryout job lifting & shifting work.
4. Lifting checklist for the job was not available.
5. HIRA /JSA was not revised as per site conditions.
Corrective and Preventive Action
1. Fixing of sling with the material to be done as per the procedure.
2. Lifting job to be carried out under the supervision of Foreman & riggers.
3. Guiding of load to be done with the rope of standard length as per the site requirement.
4. HIRA to be revised & Reviewed.
5. Good Illumination level shall be maintained.